Hypothyroidism is a medical condition where the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormones, leading to symptoms such as fatigue, weight gain, and cold intolerance. While conventional medicine typically prescribes synthetic thyroid hormones to manage this condition, naturopathic practitioners recommend a holistic approach that includes dietary changes and supplements. In this blog, we will explore the best foods and supplements for hypothyroidism from a naturopathic point of view.
Foods for Hypothyroidism
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides that can help support the thyroid gland’s function and improve metabolism. Use coconut oil for cooking and baking instead of vegetable oils.
- Sea Vegetables: Sea vegetables like kelp, dulse, and nori are excellent sources of iodine, which is essential for the production of thyroid hormones. However, be mindful not to overdo it with iodine, as too much can also have adverse effects on the thyroid gland.
- Bone Broth: Bone broth is rich in minerals like zinc, magnesium, and calcium, which are essential for thyroid health. It also contains gelatin, which can help support the digestive system and improve nutrient absorption.
- Fermented Foods: Fermented foods like kimchi, sauerkraut, and kefir are rich in probiotics that can help improve gut health and reduce inflammation, which can affect thyroid function.
- Leafy Greens: Leafy greens like spinach, kale, and collard greens are high in nutrients like magnesium, which can help support thyroid health.
Supplements for Hypothyroidism
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb that can help reduce stress levels and improve thyroid function. It can also help alleviate symptoms of fatigue and brain fog associated with hypothyroidism.
- Selenium: Selenium is a mineral that is essential for thyroid health. It helps convert thyroid hormones into their active form and reduces inflammation. Brazil nuts, seafood, and organ meats are good sources of selenium.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D deficiency is common in people with hypothyroidism. Vitamin D supplementation can help improve thyroid function and reduce inflammation. It is also essential for bone health.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 fatty acids can help reduce inflammation and improve thyroid function. Fatty fish like salmon, sardines, and mackerel are good sources of omega-3s. Alternatively, you can take fish oil supplements.
- B Complex Vitamins: B vitamins, especially vitamins B12 and B6, are essential for thyroid health. They help regulate thyroid hormone production and reduce inflammation. Good sources of B vitamins include organ meats, leafy greens, and eggs.
In conclusion, naturopathic practitioners recommend a holistic approach that includes dietary changes and supplements to manage hypothyroidism. Including foods like coconut oil, sea vegetables, bone broth, fermented foods, and leafy greens can help support thyroid function. Supplementation with ashwagandha, selenium, vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids, and B complex vitamins can also help manage symptoms and improve thyroid function. As always, consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplements or dietary changes.
Reclaim Your Life: A Healing Journey with Dr. Sakinah Bunch – Your First Step to Wholeness Begins Here
Ladies, picture this: You wake up to the soft murmur of birdsong outside your window, with the tranquil beauty of a lakeside cottage as your backdrop. As you stretch your arms, you realize that you are not rushing to meet deadlines or catering to endless to-do lists....
Ezekiel 47:12 (NIV): "Fruit trees of all kinds will grow on both banks of the river. Their leaves will not wither, nor will their fruit fail. Every month they will bear fruit because the water from the sanctuary flows to them. Their fruit will serve for food...
Introduction: Hello, y’all! Today, we have a special reason to celebrate and raise our forks in appreciation - Cleangoodeats turned six years old on August 19th! It's hard to believe that just six years ago, this innovative and health-conscious food venture came to...
As the golden hues of autumn approach and we find ourselves on the cusp of entering the deeper chapters of life, a realization often strikes. Women over 40, much like the oaks standing tall, bear the weight of many branches - demanding careers, aging parents, children...
Last night I went to a birthday celebration for a friend. There were great nutritious foods available. I ate them. The food was set up on stations. Station 1 - veggies. Station 2 - meat. Station 3 - Seafood. BUT THAT STATION 4 😢 ...Desserts. 😔 It had raspberries,...
Strengthening Bonds in the Kitchen: In today's fast-paced world, finding quality time to spend with our loved ones can be challenging. However, one activity that has the power to bring families closer together is cooking. The kitchen becomes more than just a place to...
1483 N. Dixie Hwy. Ste. B
Radcliff KY, 40160